The South Glamorgan Festival for Young Musicians is looking for more volunteers to join it’s team of stewards and secretaries for the festival weekend in Cardiff 16th - 17th May 2020!
The festival would not be possible without the invaluable work of our volunteers who ensure that all the classes run smoothly.
If you are interested in helping out, you wouldn’t need to be available for the whole weekend. A few hours of your time would be an enormous help and there will be plenty of beverages and snacks.
If you are interested in volunteering with us, please email Grace our volunteer coordinator email@example.com. We would be thrilled to hear from you!
About the Festival
The SGFYM is a music festival held in Cardiff, offering performance and competition opportunities to young musicians from Cardiff and South Wales up to the age of 23.
The aim of the festival is to foster musical excellence by providing a friendly and encouraging environment to gain performance experience. Entrants have the option to participate in non-competitive classes. Medals and trophies are awarded and all entrants receive a written, professional assessment.
Role of the Steward
Stewards play a key role in welcoming entrants, families/friends and in ensuring that the registration process works well. By working together Stewards and Secretaries ensure the smooth running of the class.
List of responsibilities:
- Register the arrival of each entrant and check they have a spare-copy of their music
- Offer general assistance that may be required
- Check that the official accompanist is present when needed and handle last minute requests for accompaniment
- Ensure noise level is kept to a minimum and no one enters the room during performances
- Ensure that no video or audio recording equipment is used
- Ensure that trophy winners complete and sign trophy receipt forms
Role of the Secretary
The secretary occupies a lead role in ensuring effective functioning of the class, providing support to and liaising with the adjudicator and ensuring the class runs to time.
List of responsibilities:
- Announce the start of the class and read out some health & safety items which will provided on a prompt sheet
- Call the entrants for performance and check with the steward for any possible changes in running order
- Ensure the adjudicator is in a comfortable position within the room and has something to write with
- Prepare adjudication sheets with performers’ names and ensure that these are in the correct order
- Check that you have sufficient medals and the correct trophies
- Record trophy and special medal winners
- Keep the class running to time
- While the adjudicator is reaching a final decision, read through the end of class prompt sheet
- At the end of the class, hand out the adjudication sheets and original music